Let Them Eat Cake

The protesters who make up “Occupy Wall Street” are ‘scum’, a ‘mob’, ‘the great unwashed’ …and similar, according to many right-wing politicians and media companies.

The ‘Tea Party’ has called comparisons between itself and ‘Occupy Wall Street’, “…insulting”.

Perhaps, it’s just a question of perspective?

New York’s mayor, Michael Bloomberg, was quoted recently in the Wall Street Journal, as saying:

The bottom line is – people want to express themselves. And as long as they obey the laws, we’ll allow them to. If they break the laws, then, we’re going to do what we’re supposed to do: enforce the laws.”

Note: “…as long as they obey the laws, we’ll allow them to.”

How nobly arrogant of you, Mayor Bloomberg. So long as people are law abiding, you’ll allow them to go about their business.

Isn’t that their right?

The First Amendment states: “Congress shall make no law…prohibiting…the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

It makes no mention of any time factor. It does not state that they should all go home within one hour, or after three days, or, whenever.

Therefore, Mayor Bloomberg, for you to state you will allow them to express themselves is to suggest you, personally, are above the US Bill of Rights, that you have the power – should you choose to exercise it – of negating the Bill of Rights.

The truth, of course, is that you are one of the ‘1%’.

You, Mayor Bloomberg, are as much a part of the ‘Wall Street’ these people seek to occupy, as any of these goons:

In case any readers are unfamiliar with these fine, upstanding, individuals, they are Brian Moynihan (CEO Bank Of America), Lloyd Blankfein (CEO Goldman Sachs), and Jamie Diman (CEO JPMorgan Chase).

Mayor Bloomberg’s fortune (now estimated at $18.1 billion dollars) was initially accrued when he was sacked from the Wall Street investment bank, Salomon Brothers (later, part of Citigroup) in 1981, with a $10 million dollar pay-off. He used the money to start a new company, Bloomberg L.P..

Merrill Lynch was his first customer.

So the ‘1%’ are graciously “allowing” the other 99% to continue their peaceful protests in New York, provided, of course, no law is broken in the process.

One is left wondering when Diana Taylor, Mayor Bloomberg’s domestic partner, and herself the former New York State Superintendent of Banks, will turn to him and suggest that, “they can all eat cake.”

Filed under:

One Reply to “Let Them Eat Cake”

  1. Did you catch what Paul Rand said the purpose of the Occupation was:

    ‘They’ only want the Ipads of the 99%.

    It is truly hard to believe that the 1% and their puppets are so incredibly stupid.

    XO
    WWW

Comments are closed.